Thinking to get a trademark for your brand name? Great idea! With a trademark, you have a graphical representation of your company; something that provides goods or services that distinguishes itself from other companies.
Why You Need to Trademark Your Brand Name
As a successful businessman in the industry, we’re sure you’re aware of the effort it takes to make a brand successful and for people to have trust in your company. There are always copycats out in the world whose sole purpose is to leech off big companies. They don’t go the long distance but instead, prefer to use the name of big companies to run their businesses.
How to Trademark Your Brand Name
Lucky for you, getting a trademark for your brand will ensure that no other company uses your name. Sounds interesting? Here’s a step by step tutorial on how you can get a trademark for your brand name:
As a first step, check whether the trademark you are going to use has already been registered or not. You will also have to make a detailed list of all the services that will be provided under your trademark and make payment for trademark searches.
The concerned authorities will make the trademark search report and will send it to the applicant or their legal consultants. You can visit their website to find details as well.
If the search report gives you a go-ahead, then the following documents will be required:
- The name and address of the applicant
- The current citizenship status of the applicant
- A drawing if what the trademark will look like
- Complete details of the design of the trademark
- A list of all the services provided under the trademark
- The category in which these services will be included
- The exact date on which the mark was first used
- Your signature or any other authorized person
- The required fee according to the services provided
Create a checklist; it will certainly help you big time by making the whole process more convenient.
Once the application is complete along with all the required documents, you can use either of the 2 filing options that are offered:
- The TEAS plus which is generally less expensive and more streamlined
- The TEAS standard option is also available
Once the application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation receipt and a serial number will be allocated to you as well. Using this serial number, you can check the status of your application in the TSDR portal. If they don’t find any issue with your application, you will be allocated the trademark. After that, you will be able to use the TM symbol with your logo wherever it’s displayed.
Now that you know the basic steps you need to take, get a trademark for your company, and make your company safe from any unauthorized access.